These are general recommendations for stored liquid fertilizer products, tank cleaning, and tanker transport preparation. Please consult with your ALPINE District Sales Manager or Agronomist for additional/specific recommendations.
Stored Liquid Fertilizer Product (Western CA)
If you have stored ALPINE liquid fertilizer over the winter there are a couple of steps that should be performed to make sure that the stored product is ready for spring use.
- Introduce air into the bottom of the tank and “bubble” the tank to circulate the product inside; there is no time limit for agitation by bubbling.
- You can introduce new/fresh product into your tank if space allows to mix the existing product in the tank.
ALPINE starter fertilizer requires agitation and circulation to have the product ready for use after overwintering.
Tank Cleaning Recommendations (All CA)
When converting existing UAN (28%–32%) tanks, ammonium polyphosphate tanks (10-34-0) or a tank that has ever stored any foreign material ALPINE suggests the following tank cleaning guidelines to prepare you for your new load of ALPINE N-P-K products:
ALPINE N-P-K products can be stored in the following makes of tanks:
- Stainless steel
- Mild steel (that are compatible with fertilizer)
- NO aluminum tanks
SAFETY FIRST Please follow all safety guidelines/procedures for entering into any confined spaces:
- Drain all material out of the existing tank.
- Open cleaning manholes on the tanks and completely clean out any solid materials off of the bottom of the tank. Some stored products will have solid material on the bottom of the tank that has settled out in time.
- After cleaning settled out materials and additional liquid in the tank:
- Completely FLUSH out tanks, lines, and pumps with water.
- Rinse/wash with water the inside walls of the storage tanks especially UAN (28%–32%) tanks.
- We recommend to DEDICATE a separate pump and line for your ALPINE N-P-K products:
- Prevents any contamination issues or problems
- Peace of mind that you are giving the highest quality and safest product to your customers
- If you are using a tank that has previously been used to store water, you should ensure there is no algae present in the tank as the Phosphate will speed the growth of the algae. The use of chlorine bleach or other cleaning products can be used to ensure the algae growth is stopped prior to filling with fertilizer.
Note: Suggest these same cleaning guides for semi-trailers, tender trucks/trailers, sprayer tanks, etc.
Tanker Transport Preparation Guidelines (All CA)
The purpose of these guidelines is to provide our customers the cleanest, highest quality N-P-K products that they have ordered and expect. Tanker transporters haul many different materials and for those preparing to transport ALPINE N-P-K liquid fertilizers we suggest the following tanker cleaning guidelines:
SAFETY FIRST Please follow all safety guidelines/procedures when cleaning your tankers or when entering any confined spaces:
- Drain all existing material out of:
- Hoses and pumps
- Completely clean out any solid materials off of bottom of the tank.
- Hauling some materials for a period of time may settle.
- After cleaning settled out materials and additional liquid in the tank, especially if you have been transporting UAN (28%–32%) materials:
- Completely FLUSH out tanks, lines, and pumps with water and drain.
Following these cleaning guidelines will implement:
- Not having contamination issues or problems.
- Gives both your customers and ALPINE the highest quality product and trucking service that they expect.
- Peace of mind for future deliveries with your transport service.